Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chili, Vegetarian Style!


So first, I apologize for the cell phone pictures. AND that these are from the next day when I warmed some over for lunch. I totally forgot to take a picture after I made the dinner, but you get the idea of how it looks. But how it TASTES is what matters right? My husband kept sneaking into the kitchen to eat more, does that tell you it was a hit? lol! 

Ingredients:
1 Onion Chopped
1 Bell Pepper
Few cloves of garlic, however many you liked. I did about 4
Handful of pickled Jalapenos, chopped
1 can of corn
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 can drained and rinsed black beans
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
10oz of Brown Rice, I used a packet of Trader Joes frozen Brown Rice (SO good! My go to rice) cooked
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, optional, but its oh so good! :)

Directions:

If your cooking your rice from scratch, start that first. 

In a large pot, heat olive oil. Dice your veggies. Add the onion, bell pepper and jalapenos. Cook until they soften. I never add the garlic right away, Ina Garten from Food Network taught me to only add it the last few minutes of sauteing to not burn the garlic. But if you prefer to add it while the other veggies cook, you can. 

Once softened, add the garlic and the corn. Cook for a couple of minutes.

Add the spices, beans, crushed tomatoes, and stock. Stir well, and bring to a boil. 

Reduce heat and simmer for around 20-25 minutes. 

Add rice to the pot, you can add pretty much as much of this as you would like. I added the whole pack of the Trader Joes brown rice (found in the freezer section) and it was the perfect amount for us. But you can add more or less for the thickness your going for. 

Top with your desired toppings. We did a little sour cream and shredded cheese. 

YUM. Seriously...YUM. Definitely going to be a new favorite in our house! I plan on making a huge batch of this and freezing some for when Baby R arrives (in about 60 days SAY WHAT!?, I know time is flying) so I can defrost and cook real fast.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment