Monday, June 3, 2013

Lactation Cookies

Now that I'm a mom (totally need to do a blog post on that trust me I know), nursing is something I'm very passionate about. It's something I was always determined to do when I was pregnant, and even before. Everyone says how difficult it can be, and boy they weren't kidding! When Lincoln was about a week old I almost gave up. But I saw a lactation consultant and stuck it out. 

I have a manual pump, and I try to pump a couple times a week in between feedings so I can have some on hand for emergencies or if Grandma and Grandpa want to babysit. However, pumping for me is almost pointless. Lincoln nurses quite often during the day so when I try to pump during a nap in between feedings I'm lucky if I get .5-1oz from BOTH breasts. I tried taking some supplements (ie fenugreek) and didn't see a difference. So last night I decided to try lactation cookies! I have yet to see if they actually work, but here is the recipe anyway!




Lactation Cookies:






Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar 
  • 5-6 tablespoons water 
  • 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal 
  • 2 teaspoons chia seeds 
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup macadamia nuts (or any nuts you like)
  • 2-4 tablespoons of brewers yeast (be generous THIS is what should boost your supply) 
Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 350…
1) Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal, chia seeds and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.

2) Cream (with a hand mixer or stand mixer) butter and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. 

3) Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended.
4) Sift together dry ingredients, except oats, nuts and chips.
5) Add to your butter mixture. Stir in oats, nuts and chips.

6) Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment. 

Bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.



MAKES TONS OF COOKIES! You may want to cut the recipe in half to try first.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on succeeding in breastfeeding! It is a challenge! If you do want to build up a stash, it is all about supply and demand. The lactation cookies are not going to help you. Pumping more often will. It takes about a week to convince your body to produce more milk for your baby. Trust me. I had over 1,000 ounces stored in the feezer when L turned one and could pump about 15oz per side at my prime. Obviously I built up to this, but I was a pumping machine. I pumped every 2 hours around the clock for months to get my body to produce that much. (Oh and went up 5 cup sizes, that was fun). XOXO

    ReplyDelete