Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vegetarian Enchiladas

So this is one of those recipes that you can mix up and make your own way. But I thought I'd share with you, MY way of making them.

I used to make chicken enchiladas, but since becoming vegetarian, I threw these together one night and we loved them MORE! But like I said, you could totally add chicken, or any other kind of meat you'd like.

Again, like I've said in other countless blog posts with my recipes, I hardly measure anything! But this is a very close estimate to what I did, you may want to add more or less!

Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup flour
large spoonful of tomato paste, probably a tablespoon and a half give or take
14.5 oz vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 or so tablespoons of sour cream

Enchiladas:
1.5 cups of pepper jack cheese
1.5 cups cheddar cheese
half a can of black beans
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper chopped
half can of corn
6 green onions thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic minced
7-8 flour tortillas (I can't stand corn tortillas but you can use those if you like them better!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a saucepan heat the olive oil and cumin, flour and tomato paste. Cook a few minutes, whisking.

Whisk in broth, spices and water. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Once it has thickened whisk in your sour cream. ***Let me just add, when I first made this sauce, it tasted "ok" but I didn't think we would like it very much. I believe its one of those sauces that doesn't taste that great by itself, but once its poured over the enchiladas, and baked, it is SO SO good!

Meanwhile, saute your bell pepper, onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent.

Mix in a bowl all the filling ingredients, make note to only use 1 cup of each of the cheddar and jack cheese so your left with 1/2 cup of each cheese to top the enchiladas with.

Lightly spray your 9x13 baking dish with pam.

Heat tortillas in the microwave so they don't split when you fill and roll them.

Fill tortillas and place in your baking dish. Pour sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Remove and let cool for a few minutes.

I topped mine with some additional green onions, and served the enchiladas with some sliced cabbage and diced tomatoes from my garden!

Enjoy!


Ps. These are even better the next day!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment