Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pumpkin Pancake "Muffins"



So fall is one of my favorite times of the year, I love the change in weather (this cali girl HATES summer, go figure) the smell of fall, the pumpkins, apples, spices. All of it. Especially because it leads towards my FAVORITE time, Christmas time. But that's not what this is about. Usually on the weekend my husband makes a special breakfast. If we don't have time in the mornings because it's busy on the ranch that day, he will make breakfast for dinner. That was the case today. I also decided to make homemade apple sauce in the crock pot so fall was in the air at our house. He mentioned to me he might want to make pancakes but it's such a mess we figured to just put them in the muffin tins. Since fall is approaching, and the applesauce was cooking away smelling SO good I told him we should make pumpkin pancakes since the can of pumpkin puree in our pantry has just been staring at me lately. 

Holy moly. I had no idea the deliciousness we were about to experience. The pancake "muffins" turned out SO good that I had to share them with you all. They would be fantastic to make the night before also and have for quick on the go breakfasts in the morning as well.

Ingredients:


  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 4-5 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • Directions:

    Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

    In one large bowl mix your milk, pumpkin, egg & coconut oil until combined. If the pumpkin or coconut oil is a little lumpy that's ok. 

    In a separate large bowl combine your flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice & salt.

    Slowly incorporate your dry into your wet ingredients. The important rule of thumb here is to not over-mix. Once the wet and dry are mixed together you're pretty much good.

    Spray your muffin tins with non stick spray.

    Use a 1/3 cup to scoop your pancake mix into the tins. All together this ended up making 17 pancake muffins for us. 




    Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until it passes the tooth pic test. I want to add that our bottom rack cooks faster than our top rack so watch out for that with your oven. Our bottom rack was done at 13 minutes and our top rack was done closer to 16-17 minutes. 





    These were SO moist and delicious. 




    But putting a little syrup on top took them to a WHOLE other level! 





    6 comments:

    1. These look so good! :) Of course, I would chose this post to read when I'm on a diet.

      ReplyDelete
    2. These look amaaaazing. I love anything pumpkin. Do you think I could substitute almond milk for the regular milk? Yum!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I would assume so yes! Im sure any type of milk would work just fine. If you try it with the almond milk let me know how it turns out!

        Delete
    3. Those look delicious! I am not a pumpkin fan though :/ Probably the only person on earth who isn't

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Whaaaa? You no likey pumpkin? I'm questioning our friendship now.

        Delete