Friday, April 15, 2011

99 years ago today...

Today is the 99 year anniversary of the sinking of Titanic. If you know me, you probably have a slight idea that I am a huge Titanic buff. I have been since I was a teenager. I got my first book about it around 6th grade maybe and was hooked every since. Especially the movie. I could probably recite it line by line. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it. (I'm even watching it right this moment in memory of the 99 year anniversary).

Over the years I've collected many different things, mostly from the traveling Titanic exhibit. I have gone to it I believe 6 times. Maybe one or two times more than that. I've seen it in LA, Las Vegas, and when it was on board the Queen Mary in Long Beach (where I was married). Let me tell you, seeing the exhibit on board The Queen Mary is QUITE the experience. Being on the ship you can imagine what it was like to be on the Titanic. My first trip to the Queen Mary was my 6th Grade graduation present from my parents. Probably one of the best gifts they ever gave me. We spent the weekend on the ship and it was amazing. I've been going back ever since and funny enough, it was the first place I ever went to with my husband back when I was 14 years old. I was lucky enough to find someone who shared my love for the Titanic and also fell in love with The Queen Mary as I did.

For my 14th Birthday my parents took me to LA to see the Titanic exhibit for the first time, it was simply amazing. To see the unbroken plates, clothes, wine bottles with wine still in them, to see and still smell perfume samples that a salesman had on the ship, and most of all an actual piece of the side of the ship. Its so beautifully haunting. It was life changing for me. That may sound cheesy but its true.

Then for my high school graduation my parents flew my husband and I to Vegas for the day to go see the exhibit again at the Tropicana. It was so fun. Great location for the exhibit as well for the space.

Right after high school I got my first job. And guess what I bought with my first paycheck? Yup, Titanic stuff. I believe I went on ebay and bought some documentaries.

For my 21st birthday my dad and siblings told me I had to go to Vegas. It was a rule! A tradition! I don't drink or gamble so I really had no interest at all. Then, I found out the exhibit was back at the Tropicana, so I agreed to the trip! :) It was great because I was able to see the exhibit again with my parents. It was a great birthday.

Over the years we had seen it a few times while it was on the Queen Mary as well.

One of my most prized possessions I have in GENERAL, is something about the Titanic. A few years ago, my old boss gave me a first edition of the book "Sinking of the Titanic" it was a memorial edition and came out in 1912 after the sinking. I am a huge nerd when it comes to vintage or old things, ESPECIALLY books, and the fact it was a Titanic book just about blew my mind. It is written in, I don't know who the people are, I wish I did! Makes me wonder if maybe they knew someone who was on the ship.

















I took a couple pictures of a few things I have, but trust me, its not where near all of what I've acquired over the years. :)










I can't believe its been almost 100 years since the sinking. I really hope its something our society doesn't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment