Monday, April 4, 2011

Quick and Easy Taco Salad & Rice


So this recipe I have cooked since I moved out at 18 years old. Why? Because when I lived at home, it was one of the few meals I actually KNEW how to cook at my moms. My mom was always very busy, even though she was a stay at home mom, she ran a business in our backyard. My parents have a horse boarding facility in their backyard so she was busy pretty much all day until the horses were fed at night. So when it came time for meals, either I cooked it, or it needed to be on the quick side. Its always been a meal I've loved, along with my husband, and its totally easy and fast. I have made a few changes though, which you can as well! This night I used the Lawrey's Taco Spice packet, but if you google that, you can find the recipe to find out the spices used and make your own. I do both. Sometimes I buy the packet, sometimes I make my own. Whatever you want to do :) My husband favors the flavor the spice packet gives for some reason, so more often than not I like to use the packet.

Ive done quite a few mexican rice recipes, I use this recipe if I want something super simple.



For Salad:
*1 head of iceburg lettuce (or whatever kind you prefer)
*1 pound of ground beef
*Taco Seasoning Spice Packet
*1 small-medium onion diced
*1 bell pepper diced
*2 carrots diced
*2 garlic cloves minced
*2/3 cup water
*Grated cheddar cheese to top
*Sour Cream to top

For Rice:
*2-3 tablespoons butter
*1 cup long grain rice
*2 cups chicken broth
*3/4 cup your favorite salsa (I use a salsa verde)
*1/2 teaspoon chili powder
*1/4 cup diced onions
*Salt to taste
*Pinch of cumin

Rice:
In a large pan combine all ingredients in the pan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes. That's it!












Taco Salad:
Add just a small amount (barely a tablespoon) of olive oil in a large pan. Add the diced vegetables and cook on medium-high heat for 1 minute or so. Add ground beef, salt and pepper and brown.




Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.



Drain fat, then add the spice packet along with water. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.





Let sit for a minute or two to let the sauce thicken up a bit.



Serve over lettuce, and add your favorite toppings! I just added cheese, salsa and a little sour cream. We add the rice into the salad as well. If you rather you can add it as a side dish.




Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious!!! What a creative way to make the taco meat!

    ReplyDelete