Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New entryway

So last summer my parents bought a new home, and my Grandmother had this wooden church pew bench that was in the kitchen. When she passed away and my mom packed up a lot of her things, there was certain items she wanted but didn't have room for in the house they were living in, so when they moved the new house which is at least twice or three times the size of their old one so she wanted to take the bench. This left a large empty space in my entryway. I needed to move something in there so we took this iron narrow table that we had in our bedroom in its place but the iron looked terrible and didn't match. One day my husband and I decided to organize the garage and I realized there was this old desk that was my moms when she was a child that I believe my Grandma used to do crafts on because there was over 10 colors of paint all over the top of it! I knew I could make it perfect for the entryway with a little paint. Then I went to Target, and ebay, and even the 99 cents store to find some frames to make a type of collage to go above the desk. I went and found some vintage pictures to print and put into the frames, and one of the pictures I already had, it was a picture of my mom, grandma and I when we had gone to Calico Ghost Town, I had to have been only 4 or 5, and we took one of those old western looking photos and it looked PERFECT in the large frame I found. Then I had gone to Toms Farm with my husband on the way home from a little trip to San Diego and I found these vintage food cans that I fell in LOVE with. I asked if my dad would make me a little wooden box for them, which he built, stained and painted for me. It looked great. Then I went to Michael's and found a tin can, and decoupaged it, and arranged some fake flowers in it. Little by little it was coming along. I found some old books my Grandma had that went perfectly also. On a trip to the mall I found this awesome box with a chalk board top (I'm a SUCKER for anything chalkboard) on clearance, it was originally around $40-50 and I believe we got it for less than $20. Here are some pictures of the new entryway...

Before: Desk-

Before: Desk-


New entry way collage:


Desk After:





















This picture in the frame I had found in a cabniet that my Grandmother painted in 1969!






2 comments:

  1. Looks really good. Thanks so much for stopping by today, I really appreciate your comment. Btw, love those V-day cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That desk looks great! I also love your old measuring spoons!

    ReplyDelete