Thursday, February 24, 2011

My first love.

So when I was around 1st grade or so I started riding horses. I took lessons, and showed at a couple little shows in my home town. Then, my parents bought a ranch so we could have the horses in our backyard, and also made it a boarding facility. My first horse was Bassy, a bay Arabian. She was my best friend. I started showing Arabians, and even made it to Youth Nationals. Long story short, riding horses was my whole life. BUT, once teenager years happened, I lost interest. I had a trainer at one point who made riding horses miserable for me. It wasn't fun anymore. I remember multiple times crying during our lessons. But, in order to keep showing, it takes long hard practice, and maybe I just didn't want to do it anymore. I don't know. But I pretty much stopped going out and riding horses. I would have rather hung out with friends, I got a boyfriend, etc etc. Then, when I was a senior in high school, towards the end, I started going out there more again. But, shortly after that, I moved out with my husband (then boyfriend). So once I moved out, I pretty much never went out there for 6 years. In the midst of this my horse Bassy, passed away. Of course you get this overwhelming guilt. I wished I would have at least gone over there more, I'm very grateful for my mom taking care of her. This week, my parents are at a huge horse show they have every year in Scottsdale Arizona. So I am house sitting for them. While I'm here my mom needed me to work her two horses. Getting out there today was great. The smell of the horses, even just brushing them, it was great. I truly truly miss it. Of course, I now live 45 minutes away, so getting out there on a regular basis is kinda unrealistic. But it will be nice to relive it for a week at least.

Here is a picture of my moms horse, Wiz, while I was working him today.

1 comment:

  1. I want to take sheldyn horseback riding but its so expensive to do here to rent it - and many of them just make you go in a line with like 10 other people instead of being able to open ride.

    ReplyDelete