Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentines Day!

I was excited for Louie to take the cupcakes to work, truthfully, I hoped they would make it to his work in one piece. Luckily, they did, and were a hit. I was glad. He also took a ton of avocados to work as well today. Seeing that we have, oh, SEVEN trees it doesn't hurt to have more people to give some avocados to!

While Louie was at work, I spent the day cleaning and doing laundry. More than I normally do in one day, I wanted the house to be perfect when he got home. The plan was to surprise him with dinner on the table, BUT, my crock pot didn't cook the soup quick enough (boo!). But we'll get to that in a minute.

So I didn't decorate for Valentines Day this year (gasp!, I know) but since the plan was to surprise him with dinner I wanted to have the table decorated. So I went downstairs to fish out a few of my favorites to put on the table. After I decorated the table I was finishing up the dishes and something made me want to look under the sink. I honestly don't remember why or what made me want to look down there, I don't recall looking for something specific and as I opened the cabinet water was spraying out of the pipe. For a good few seconds I freaked out, I didn't have Louie here to yell for to fix the problem so I knew for the first time, I had to fix it. Silly, I know, but I never have had to with my dad around when i was young, and my husband generally around all the time. So I collected myself and realized I should turn the water off. The issue really wasn't a big deal, but I was proud of myself for doing it none the less! So anyway, I got the rest of the house done, and I noticed it was almost time for Louie to get off work, I go to the crock pot and realize it isn't done. The recipe (which i will post in the bottom of this) calls for 4-6 hours. It definitely needed to go for six, and I only planned for four. I was bummed, but its okay.

Louie came home and surprised me with chocolates (which is exactly all I wanted this year). We had a nice dinner.

All in all, it was a great Valentines Day. How was your Valentines Day??

Here are some pictures...














Here is the recipe for the soup:

Fajita Soup-
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of garlic (or more if you love garlic like me)
1 cup corn (if you do frozen, make sure it is thawed)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 14.5 can of diced tomatoes with liquid
1 tablespoon chili powder
Cayenne pepper if you like spice
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Put in slow cooker and cook 4-6 hours. Mine took 6 hours.




Put into bowls, and top with Monterey cheese, then melt in broiler. Bowls will be VERY hot!



If wanted, add a little sour cream (sour cream always makes it better!)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you're just shelling them out we'll take some avocados :) Garran slices them in half and eats them with a spoon, haha. That soup looks yum! I'll add it to my list of Casey recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete