Sunday, February 20, 2011

Whats for dinner- Chicken Pot Pie

The other night I attempted to make homemade chicken pot pie. I say attempted not because it didn't taste good, but it didn't LOOK good! Oh well! It was the first time, and it tasted amazing.

I attempted to do homemade pie crust, which I will NOT do again. It was way to messy, and I actually didn't make enough. I only had enough to put on top, not inside the bowls which the recipe called for. However, I think I enjoyed only having it on top and not inside. Next time I will definitely use the pie crusts you can buy in the store. The bowls I used were a little too big, I didn't have as much filling as I thought I would, so the crust went inside the bowl a bit, next time I will use smaller bowls.

Here is a picture:




The lighting isn't too great, my camera was literally flashing red and the steam was fogging up the lens so that's the best picture I could get. I wanted you to be able to see the inside of it, sorry they aren't the best photos!

Here is the recipe:
This is the amount that was good for two medium/large bowls-

*1 chicken breast, cubed
*2 large carrots, diced
*1/2 cup peas
*2 celery sticks, diced
*1/2 onion diced
*1/4 cup all purpose flour
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*1/8 teaspoon pepper
*1 1/4 cup chicken broth
*1/2 cup milk
*unbaked pie crusts

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a saucepan combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover about an inch over the chicken and veggies inside, cover and boil for 15 minutes. Drain and put chicken and veggies in a bowl to the side.
3. In the same saucepan, over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in slowly the flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in milk and chicken broth. Simmer over medium-low heat until the mixture gets thick. Remove from heat.
4. Place unbaked pie crusts in individual bowls or into pie dish.
5. Mix in the chicken and veggie mixture with the thick liquid, and place it inside bowls or pie dish. Cover with top crust and cut away excess dough and seal edges. Make slits in the top of the crust to allow the steam to escape.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. don't give up on homemade pie crust!!! I PROMISE you'll get it down. Try a different recipe, and be SURE that it's not warm when you roll it. Crusts with lots of butter are best :) I'm a mean pie crust maker, but the first one I did wasn't so hot! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so yummy! I am totally with Hillary..if a recipe doesn't work for you...try another! angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried this recipe tonight... so yum!!

    ReplyDelete